Supporting Your Child’s
Supporting Your Child’s Mental Health
The psychological well-being of children and adolescents is of our utmost concern. We specialize in working with children and families living with ADHD, Anxiety, Depression, and other mental health concerns.
Know The Signs
Know the possible warning signs of mental illness in children and teens:
- Prolonged and persistent sadness
- Withdraw from social situations
- Tantrum outbursts, or extreme irritability
- Changes in mood or behavior
- Difficulty sleeping
- Frequent physical symptoms (i.e., headaches, stomach aches, etc.)
- Weight loss or appetite changes
- Difficulty concentrating or focusing
- Changes in attendance or performance at school
- Talk of hurting oneself, death, or suicide
When to Seek Help
It can be difficult to know when to seek help if you suspect your child or teen is suffering from mental illness. If you are noticing changes in your child’s thoughts, emotions, or behaviors, talk with your pediatrician. If your child’s behavior or thoughts become unsafe, seek help immediately.
Mental health emergency numbers:
- Emergency medical attention
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Self Harm Hotline
- Family Violence Hotline
Helping Your Child Cope
Parenting a child or teen with mental illness is challenging and can be stressful. Your child may be having a difficult time managing and controlling their thoughts, emotions, or behaviors.
Each child is different, but here are some ways to help your child cope:
- Do research to learn more about the illness
- Normalize open communication about their feelings and symptoms
- Never ignore their feelings and symptoms
- Talk with your pediatrician
- Look into family counseling options
- Help your child learn stress management techniques
- Seek out ways to help you and your child relax and have fun
- Inform others, including your child’s school
Download Our Mental
Health Resources PDF!
Get a printable version of our mental health tips including signs to look for, when to seek help, and how to help your child cope.
Our Pediatrics Office
We are a holistic pediatric medical practice based on the core values of health and wellness, along with kindness, compassion, integrity, and unity for all children and their families.